Some Christmases are sadder than others. Example...our last Christmas with John. We knew it would be our last, but we enjoyed it to the fullest. Santa came to our house and passed out presents on Christmas Eve and when we woke up we had more! It was amazing! That last Christmas with John left so many good memories to me, since most of mine with him revolve around him being sick. I was only 7 when he passed away and 6 when he got diagnosed. My memories live in pictures and videos that we have. My memories of us as a family before he got sick are pretty much non-existent, which is something that I will never be able to change. Some days I am happy it is that way, only because if it had been at a different age (when I was older) I would remember so many bad things (radiation, chemo, etc...). Not that I don't remember it now, but they are all intertwined with good memories. Being in Minnesota for a bone marrow transplant, but remembering "Spooky World" for Halloween and going to the "Mall of America" for the log ride. Memories of a seven year old girl...but, I would love to have those 4 years worth of memories before he got sick. He was my best friend, and there are memories scattered in my mind of us, but not all four years. I didn't mean to get all sappy, but he is still a member of the family, even when people walk on eggshells around the topic. It's been 15 years...there will always be an empty place, but it heals over time, but never completely. I will include a picture of us later! :)
But, the magic of this season and of God is that he blessed me with a new little buddy. Jackson was a blessing to this family and to me in general. I love him so much and to tell you how he helped me would take much more than I am willing to write in this blog. I do not need to explain how much I love him, because for the people that know and see us it is pretty evident.
Christmas is such a magical time. It takes you to a place, if only for a day, that makes you feel joyful inside. Like I said before, it is absolutely my favorite time of the year. I understand that buying gifts can be stressful, but try and remember the reason for the season. Merry Christmas to all of you and I hope you have a blessed holiday!! :)
John and me on Christmas morning, 1995. Our last Christmas.
We went to Callaway Gardens during Christmas Break a couple of years ago. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment